Friday, July 15, 2011

Bjork "Crystalline"


After a few years since “Volta” Bjork has returned with a new single titled “Crystalline”. The track took me a couple of listens to digest, but then again that is to be expected. “Crystalline” has a prominent glockenspiel that remains throughout, that is followed by an electronic beat that continuously shifts and changes tempo. Those two instruments form the foundation of “Crystalline” and there isn’t much else, as far as the production is concerned, it is very skeletal, but in a deceptive way. At time it sounds as if much more is going on when there really isn’t. This could be because of the spastic nature in which the drums are arranged. At the outset there are low in the mix, and then out of nowhere, they explode back creating havoc. I do enjoy the structure, especially at the end when the drum machine gets cranked up for the grand finale.

Bjork’s vocal delivery is what one would expect from her by now. “Crystalline’ maintains her signature wailing, which remains to be all over the place and carefully composed at the same time. Upon the first listen I liked the fact that I did not know where the song will take me, there is an element of surprise throughout that keeps me engaged and on the edge. That tension is what makes her music so rewarding and enjoyable. Therefore, as a standalone single I like “Crystalline” and I do see this being one of those “growers’ and it will be interesting how the song will fit in a context of the upcoming album.

Song of the Day is “Crystalline” by Bjork. 


No comments: