Monday, July 18, 2011

Little Dragon "Ritual Union"


For the past few weeks, I have had an infatuation with the Scandinavian culture. I have found myself compulsively listening to artists like Royskopp, Fever Ray, Robyn and a few others. I also have been watching a lot of films from the Northern region of Europe. There is a quality in their art that I find to be appealing and alluring; I can’t put a finger on it, but it is one of those cases where I just love everything from that comes from there. Sure, it can be a little introspective and cerebral, some may even say that it is depressing and/or pretentious, but hey I just find it to be quite rewarding.

Little Dragon is a band from Sweden and they have been gaining buzz during the last couple of years, mainly because of some collaborations that they had with some high profile acts. They had two brilliant appearances on the Gorillaz’ “Plastic Beach” as well the latest albums by Maximum Balloon and SBTRKT. I suppose that it is no coincidence that my favorite tracks from those albums featured the Swedish band. Little Dragon brought great melodies and bright production to the table that I really enjoyed.

Now, this is their moment to shine, Little Dragon has a single out called “Ritual Union” that will be featured on their upcoming album also titled “Ritual Union”. The song doesn’t not venture too far off from their established sound. “Ritual Union’ is an up tempo song that is coyly delivered by the lead singer Yukimi Nagano. She has emerged as the star of the band, justifiably so; she has a great sense of timing and song writing. The rest of the band does a fantastic job of providing a sleek beat, which is tighter than the bands previous material. This is a sound of a band that seems to be coming into its own, I expect I lot from this upcoming release and I have a feeling that they will deliver the goods. 

Song of the Day is "Ritual Union"

No comments: